Play park near Town Hall

Street Scene

The Town Council are responsible for the maintenance of 627 streetlights within the town, those in the Dussindale area maintained by Norfolk County Council.

We have a 5-year programme of replacement work for older streetlights. Streetlights identified as requiring immediate removal will be dealt with as an emergency and either made safe or replaced with a new column or lamp.

There are occasions when a replacement column has been erected next to an existing light. This is because either the electricity supply is waiting to be transferred by UK Power Networks from the existing to the new column, or the existing cable cannot be re-used, and a new service is required. All cabling works are undertaken by UK Power.

LED Lighting

The yellow/orange sodium bulbs are no longer available and so LED lighting is being installed as part of the column/bulb replacement works.

If you would like to report a faulty Street Light to us, please call us on 01603 701048 or click on the link.

Reported faults and the streetlight details are forwarded to our contractor, if the bulb needs replacing it will be converted to LED in line with Government guidelines. This in turn reduces energy costs.

Please allow five to ten working days for our lighting contractor to attend to a fault once it has been reported to us.

Norfolk County Council fill all the Grit Bins on public roads in Thorpe St. Andrew.

The Town Council provides the bins in consultation with Norfolk County Council. The decision on bin locations are the responsibility of Norfolk County Council.

If a Grit Bin near you needs refilling, please contact Norfolk County Council on 03448008020 or email

If the bin has not been filled by December, please contact the town council office on 01603 701048 or by email to

Bus shelters can be provided by the Town Council in partnership with Norfolk County Council. Once a bus shelter is in place it is then the Town Councils responsibility to maintain the shelter.

To report any damage or graffiti on a bus shelter please contact the Town Council office on 01603 701048.

For further information, please visit the link below:

Litter and dog waste bins are managed by Broadland District Council (please see map for bin locations).

Download PDFBDC street bin locations

The towns verge mowing (a delegated function undertaken on behalf of Norfolk County Council) is undertaken by our Parks & Estates team.

Residential hedges obstructing footways will remain the responsibility of residents.

Vehicles parked upon grass verges have become increasingly responsible for the increase of damage reports received by the council. Damage found to be caused by commercial vehicles (buses and lorries) mounting verges has also increased. In these instances, we can request that companies found responsible for damage pay for re-instatement and repairs.

Areas of verges reported unmown during the scheduled cuts is normally due to parked vehicles or other obstructions. It is only possible for the council to mow verges if they are free of obstructions. Staff will not return to mow these sections until the next scheduled cut so please leave verges obstruction free.

The council monitor and record instances of verge damage/obstructions during the year and request your assistance in keeping our verges tidy and free from damage. For more information, contact the office on 01603 701048.